To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

What are my responsibilities as a water user?

  • The areas around the meters should be kept clear of all brush and debris.

  • Any pressure adjustment required or desired (boosting or reducing) is the responsibility of the user.

  • Current property owner is responsible for all Water District charges whether incurred by them selves, former owners, or tenants.

  • Toll charges for water consumption are payable within 30 days.

  • Taxes are payable by October 31st each year.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect or perhaps a broken water line.  Simply call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem. 

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the discoloration.

What chemicals does our water system add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

Public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line). Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Has the district considered 'On-line' or electronic payment systems?

The District now accepts E-Transfres to administrator@kemplakewaterworks.bc.ca. An E-Transfer payment must include the name on hte property invoice and either the account number or the address. Without these pieces of information, the payment will not be credited to your account.

Why does the water taste differently at different times of the year?

Our water comes from Kemp Lake. Surface water sources (i.e. lakes, rivers, streams) are susceptible to changes depending on the weather, time of year and other influences. As Kemp Lake is a relatively small lake, these influences can have a rapid effect on the condition of the water, including taste, colour and odor. The District does not filter the water, but relies solely on chlorination to disinfect, deodorize and clarify the water. In some cases the conditions of the water cannot be fully offset by chlorination alone. Although the water conditions change, the safety of the water remains unchanged. The level of chlorine in the system is adjusted to maintain a safe level regardless of the water conditions.

Why does the water go off without notice?

There are a number of reasons why water service would stop without notice.

  • Emergency repairs. From time to time portions of the system can fail causing a leak that if not fixed immediately could result in the loss of service to the entire system. This may require part of the system to be shut down.

  • Loss of supply. The system may simply be out of water. The pumping system at the lake may fail due to breakdowns or more likely an extended power failure. During power outages, conserving water will extend the time before the water runs out.

  • Use of fire hydrants. Fire fighting use may reduce pressure and flow, even to the point of loss of service at the high points in the system. Flushing also affects pressure and flow. This is usually done at night to limit the impact on customers.

What monitoring of water quality is taking place?

The water is tested weekly by a testing laboratory in Victoria. The results of every test is sent to the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA). Click here for more information and test results: Water Quality

What are the procedures for boiling water for disinfection?

What is considered a swimming pool and what are the regulations regarding pools?

  • The Water Distribution Regulation Bylaw refers to swimming pools in a number of sections. Below are some excerpts from the bylaw.

    Section 1 (6) - "swimming pool" shall mean an artificially created body of water having a depth of 18" or more used for recreational or physiotherapy purposes.

     Section 6 (2) - … works on private property which are supplied by the District are connected to a body of contaminated water, such as a swimming pool, in such a way that, if a reverse flow were to be induced, a health hazard could result, the owner of the private property shall install and maintain a back‑flow preventer …to the approval of the District.

     Section 7 (4) - No person shall use water for …filling of swimming pools … except by written permission of the Trustees, …stating purpose, time of use and quantity … and additional charges, if any, …and any special works required ...

    To view the complete bylaw, see Bylaws under the Customer Service menu.

    Our concern with swimming pools is not to prevent people from having and enjoying them, but to allow us to better manage the water demands on the system and to ensure that adequate procedures and protections are in place to prevent any contamination of the water system. Something as simple as leaving a garden hose running in a pool to top it up could lead to a back flow condition and contamination if there was a sudden drop in pressure such as a main break or a large fire flow demand.

    In regard to the cost of water for swimming pools, other residents in the district tell us that they estimate the additional cost on their water tolls to be approximately $50 for the summer period for a 5000 gallon pool. This includes not only the initial filling of the pool but also the top ups needed during the season as a result of evaporation and splashing.

Does the KLWD have a water main flushing program?

  • Water main flushing is used to clean the distribution system water mains of sediments that have accumulated inside the pipe. The Kemp Lake Waterworks District flushing program is conducted on an annual basis.
  • Users should expect short periods of low pressure and discoloured water. Any discolouration is temporary and not a health hazard. Users are asked to minimize consumption if a change in water appearance is noticed. To clear your water lines, turn on your cold water tap until the water runs clear.
  • Advance Notification: Users with special requirements for clear water will receive advance warning of flushing in their area if a request to be notified is received. Call the Kemp Lake Waterworks District to arrange for an advance warning: Tel: 642-2875.
  • Kemp Lake Waterworks District accepts no liability for low water pressure, inconvenience or damages caused by water use during its flushing program.